Sweet Tea and Southern Living

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Super Bowl, Recipes and Hob Lob

First of all, who had a good Super Bowl Sunday watching football and eating junk? Pretty much all of us. We went to a small group party and no one really cared who won, however, I am not gonna lie....I am glad it was a Manning. He desereved it!

I have been meaning to share a few recipes. The first, I found in the Southern Living Magazine (best magazine ever!) a few years back and it is one of my favorites!

Its fairly easy but its so tasty and homemade!
  • YIELD: Makes 6 to 8 servings
  • HANDS-ON:22 Minutes
  • TOTAL:47 Minutes
  • COURSE: Casseroles, Side Dishes/Vegetables

Ingredients

  • 2 cups milk
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 (10-oz.) block extra sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper (optional)
  • 1/2 (16-oz.) package elbow macaroni, cooked

Preparation

1. WHISK FLOUR INTO BUTTER
Preheat oven to 400°. Microwave milk at HIGH for 1 1/2 minutes. Melt butter in a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium-low heat; whisk in flour until smooth. Cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute.
2. WHISK IN WARM MILK
Gradually whisk in warm milk, and cook, whisking constantly, 5 minutes or until thickened.
3. WHISK IN CHEESE
Whisk in salt, black pepper, 1 cup shredded cheese, and, if desired, red pepper until smooth; stir in pasta. Spoon pasta mixture into a lightly greased 2-qt. baking dish; top with remaining cheese. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until golden and bubbly.

The next is a new recipe I tried from Pinterest. They're Rolo cookies. I was very surprised at how much of a hit they were. Even the Mr. loved them (who is not the biggest fan of baked goods....ha). There are only a few ingredients and they have a little bit of a brownie taste. But, come on, who doesn't love Rolos?



1 pkg. Rolo's
1 box Devils Food Cake mix
2 eggs
1/3 c. oil

Mix cake mix, oil, and eggs. Take a small ball of dough and form a ball around the rolo. (Only use enough dough to cover the rolo so it can spread through the cookie.)

Place on greased cookie sheet and bake at 350 for 7-8 minutes. Yields about 3 dozen.

Sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired.

On a completely different note, I was at Hobby Lobby yesterday getting a few more things for the shower I am throwing this weekend and I spotted these, if they were on sale I would have got them, so... looks like I will be going back next week.


Aren't they cool?

The weather has been so "Springish" and I am loving it! Birds chirping, flowers blooming... I feel like the groundhog was a little off this year.... I hope....

That is all for today folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment